Reasons For And Treatment Of Chest Infection In Children
Most of the time it has been observed that children suffer from different types of infections. In most cases, there is nothing to be worried about as these are the common occurrences in children. Still, as parents, you need to understand the reasons and treatments at least for some infections. Among all, chest infections are very common in children and can easily be observed as it has many symptoms.
So, what are the obvious symptoms of chest infection in children :
- Montessori Pasadena, CA teachers observed that most of the kids having a chest infection suffer from fever and cough which stays for quite a long time.
- They will experience difficulty in breathing accompanied by wheezing.
- The rise in heartbeat rates and disturbed sleep at night are common symptoms of chest infections in children.
- You may see them losing their appetite, which may be accompanied by vomiting and nausea.
- Kids having a chest infection, may complain about chest pain which may also affect their abdomen.
Now, let’s understand the reasons for this chest infection in kids :
- Weather change is a major reason for chest infection in children. Sometimes the temperature around the child fluctuates extremely and causes chest infections in them. Heatwaves and cold winters both can cause chest infection in kids.
- As they grow up, their immunity system is still at the developing stage; so, it is nowhere near its full strength. Therefore, it is easier for bacteria and viruses to infect them and cause chest infections.
- According to the Montessori Pasadena, CA teachers, kids who are exposed to the smoke, particularly cigarette smoke, are susceptible to chest infections. Pollution levels of the air can also affect their health and can result in chest infections.
- If your child is allergic to something seasonal, like pollen of flowers, may get infected at a particular time of the year. These are called seasonal infections.
- Many a time common cold develops into chest infections if not treated on time. This happens because the cold leaves the body more vulnerable to attacks, as the immune system is weakened. Asthma also gets worse if the child catches a cold and cough.
How chest infections in kids can be treated :
The treatment for chest infection in kids is quite simple. However, you should not take it casually so that this common infection fester into something more serious.
- Give them warm milk and butter so that their body gets the required strength to fight off the infection.
- Medicines like paracetamol in small doses can help reduce the fever and the congestion in the chest. Please consult a doctor before giving any medicine to your child.
- You can also use saline nasal drops to clear their stuffy nose. This will also improve their breathing.
- Steam inhalation is another way to reduce the stuffiness of the nose and you can apply a bit of vapor rub on the inhaler for a better result.
- If the symptoms of the chest infection do not improve, even after following the above-mentioned tips, it would be best to consult the doctor. Even after prolonged care, if your child has difficulty breathing, feels disoriented, or coughs-up blood-stained phlegm, you should rush to a doctor and follow his guidance.